Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Turkey Tortilla Soup

Wondering what to do with lots of left over turkey? I am sure you will be not too far off. I thought it would be fun and fall like to have a big turkey dinner on Sunday. And today I decided I couldn't eat another turkey sandwich. So I make Turkey Tortilla soup. Because it's fall. . .and fall means lots of soup. Plus it takes two cups of chopped tomatoes and my tomato plants are going crazy.

So, if this looks yummy (I've tried lots of variations on tortilla soup and this one is among the best):

Here's what you do:

Start by heating a tablespoon of olive oil. Add a half cup of onions and saute them for three or four minutes.


Throw in three cloves of chopped garlic. . .



. . .two teaspoons of chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin and 1/2 teaspoon of oregano. Stir pot and cook for about a minute.


Then add a cup of salsa and a can of tomato soup. . .




. . .and two cups of water.



Here is where we use our left over turkey. . .four cups of it--into the pot.

And since I currently have tomatoes coming out my ears I was happy to donate two cups of diced tomatoes to the pot.




The salsa I was using was not particularly hot so I added a jalapeno in the mix. Also handy when there are several ripe ones in my garden.


Finally--except for the next three ingredients--add three chicken bullion cubes and a teaspoon of dried parsley. Bring it all to a boil, then simmer for five minutes to let the bullion cubes dissolve. (Or you could skip the water and bullion and use chicken broth--also any time you have the herbs fresh, use them.)


Last, add your can of corn, can of rinsed, drained black beans, and a half cup of sour cream.


Let the pot simmer for 20 minutes.


Add your toppings and enjoy (Cheese, crushed tortilla chips, cilantro, sour cream, and green onion). I always love a soup that lets you have more individual control over the ingredients like this. It makes it easier to please everyone. This is good with two young picky girlies to feed. Plus it just looks festive all piled with toppings. Now go cook a turkey so you can fully appreciate this yummy soup!

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup minced onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
4 cups water
1 can tomato soup
2 cups diced tomatoes
1 cup salsa
4 cups shredded cooked turkey
1 tablespoon dried parsley
3 chicken bouillon cubes
1 (14 ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained
1 can of corn
1/2 cup sour cream


Toppings:
6 cups corn tortilla chips
3/4 cup chopped green onion
1 cup shredded Cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese blend
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup sour cream

No comments: