Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Honey Vanilla Ice Cream & Vanilla Cinnamon Waffle Cones

As summer is barreling to a close we have been cramming in every ounce of fun we can. Cousins and parties, swimming and picnics, scores of outdoor activities and hours of good old tiring summer freedom and craziness for all. It seems every summer is a contest to out do the one before and this year has been no exception. By the end of summer vacation I need a vacation! Or at least the return of schedules and sanity. But one summer ritual that never gets old (But which I try to restrict due to the direct and undesirable affect it has upon my waistline) is making home made ice cream and waffle cones and bowls.

Each year I try new flavors and, of course, often make my tested and true vanilla batches that can be sprinkled with fruit or drizzled with gooey melted peanut butter and melted chocolate chips. . .or enjoyed in all it's unadulterated simplicity--YUM-O. This year I have a new favorite--Honey Vanilla. AND I tried a new waffle cone recipe that is oh so good. So just to tempt you, I'm going to share.

Honey Vanilla Ice Cream


The very small cast of ingredients. (Here is where I--queen of picture taking--forgot to take pictures of the steps so you will have to use your imagination. . .or follow these few simple instructions.)

Beat five yolks and 1/2 cup of honey in a mixing bowl.



Heat 2 cups of milk in a sauce pan until it reaches boiling point, then simmer. While it is simmering, stir in the egg yolk/honey mixture. Stir until it thickens

Remove from heat and strain. Let cool. (Or like me, finish mixing ingredients in, stick it directly in the mixer then run out of ice before it freezes, then let it cool while the ice maker makes more ice and try again--on second thought, just let it cool first!)

Now that it is cool add 1 cup heavy cream and 1 teaspoon of vanilla, THEN transfer to ice cream maker. Freeze according to directions for ice cream maker.



When it looks like this, put it in the freezer to get really good texture and stiffness.


Then let your four year old (Or ten year old, or forty year old) lick the ice cream mixer clean.


In the mean time, make your waffle cones, or bowls, like I did this time. For this you will need a waffle cone iron. Buy one, it's worth it--just ask my mother.


My New Favorite Waffle Cone



Stuff you will need: Heavy cream, vanilla, powdered sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cornstarch and oil for the iron.

Whip 1 cup of heavy cream and 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla until mousse-like (no peaks).


Sift together 1 1/2 cups of powder sugar, 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg, and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Stir into cream to make a batter. Let sit for 30 minutes.






Heat up the waffle cone iron and brush or spray with oil. Spoon the batter close to the lid so when the lid closes it spreads out evenly over the iron. (This is not my best example, but it's the only one I took a picture of.)




Here you can either wrap around the cone form (and stand up in a cup to keep its shape. . .)


Or like I did this time, press into a bowl to cool.


Then fill it with ice cream and try not to drool while spooning it into your mouth. Mmmmm. Well, maybe just a little. It is THAT good.
Next I think I will try Coconut Ice Cream. It's a good thing summer is only three months. This could really get out of hand! But hey, with all the energy we have been exerting surely we've earned it!

No comments: