Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Blackberry Syrup

Since I have an abundance of blackberries this fall, it was brought to my attention that blackberry syrup is divine.

So I made some.

 OH. MY. That stuff is good. I am not a big pancake eater. I figure with the calories you consume it has to be worth it. With this syrup--it's worth it. And it's simple.
(And when the berries just keep coming of this size and quality--FREE, if you don't count the price of blood they exact from your arms--I can't just let them wither on the vine, can I?)


Three cups of berries, 3/4 cup sugar, a teaspoon grated lemon peel and 1/3 cup of water is all it takes and these lovelies can be yours.


Put them in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Let simmer for 8 minutes. Mash the berries while simmering a couple more minutes. Then strain out the juice. If you press it to get most of the juice you should get two cups of syrup. Store in fridge for up to two weeks.

Simple. Delicious. Done.

No comments: