Monday, November 10, 2008

Apple Pie Filling


You can't let a Washington fall pass by without getting some locally grown apples.  My new favorite variety is Honey Crisp.  I bought a 34 lb. box at a local farmer's market.  I generally can some every year and sometimes make jam and applesauce.  This year I decided to freeze some and I made a whole batch of apple pie filling.  Now whenever the mood strikes I can whip up an apple pie or some apple crisp with little effort.  

Here is what you need:

4 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup cornstarch
3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 ground cloves (Optional)
2 tsp. salt
10 cups water
3 Tbs. lemon juice (Or if you have Fresh Fruit powder you can use that)
18 cups of sliced apples



After you slice your apples. . .


. . . put them in a bowl of water with Fresh Fruit or toss them in lemon juice.  


Then mix the rest of the ingredients into the 10 cups of water in a large pot and bring to a boil. It should thicken as it heats.  


Toss in all the apples and let simmer for 6 - 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat and let cool 30 minutes.  


Place in 5 one quart freezer containers. Store in freezer for up to a year.  And if you bought 34 lbs of apples like I did, repeat (a couple times).  Just don't forget to save some out for caramel apples.

No comments: